July 30, 2012

Megan Lewis on the X-Pro1

Here's another installment from my interviews with photographers using the Fujifilm X-Pro1....

Megan Lewis, social documentary photographer - “I am really blown away by this little camera. It produces incredible quality, and is so light and easy to use that I want to take it with me everywhere. You don’t even know you’ve got it with you, it just becomes part of what you are doing and you can shoot from the hip”.

A former newspaper photographer, Megan Lewis now works on social documentary projects, the most recent of which is ‘Conversations with the Mob’, shot over three years while living in the Great Sandy Desert of Western Australia with the Martu Aboriginal community.

She says when the X-Pro1 camera came out, “it was exactly what I was looking for. I had been hoping someone would come out with a lightweight camera that takes really high quality pictures, and the X-Pro1 is that camera. Carrying heavy equipment around all the time becomes a burden. In fact you get to the point where you stop taking pictures because you are thinking about the weight of the gear”.

Megan also likes how discreet the X-Pro1 is explaining that when you are shooting out in the desert, where there is no background noise to absorb sounds like the shutter firing, this smaller, quieter camera helps her connect more readily with people.

Having previously shot her major projects on film Megan says she now wouldn’t hesitate to use the X-Pro1. “For me the X-Pro1 replaces film. I wasn’t sure about shooting digital on projects I feel are really important stories to tell, but I think this camera can do it”.

Copyright Megan Lewis 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment